Wednesday, July 29, 2009

So cut out the morbid verse / I know you'll make it work


Oh! Freedom!

A zig-zag knit sweater with a circle zipper pull. A piano that's busted, so you can paint it white and then draw all over it. A bread truck with no doors rattling along the highway at 80 miles an hour!

I recently turned in an article that had taken a lot longer to research and write than I'd anticipated. Before that, it seemed like every waking moment was spent painting this house and putting it back to rights. Remember that? Oh, those were FUN blog posts.

Now. Now, after I drop the kids off at day camp, I open all the windows and turn off the book on tape (although Tim Curry reading Lemony Snicket is pretty inspiring. I don't even hear the words, I'm so busy concentrating on the syrupy, hoarse, wet, dry, raspy, silky, papery lisping chortling VOCAL RANGE that's coming out of the speakers). I hurtle down the interstate like a flare shot out of a gun into humid summer sky. I let my mind wander.

I love humans. Humans think, and make things, and, as far as I know, they are the only species that consciously tells jokes. I love the different things humans do when they have time between the eating and sleeping and shitting and daily-bread-earning. They play guitar, or they build a treehouse. They read science fiction novels until their brains run out their ears. My girlie Constance looks at all the beautiful beads and scraps of paper and stuff she's collected, and lets her brain tell her hands how to put them together into something gorgeous and unexpected.

Tim Curry probably sits around and experiments with all the different ways you can say the word 'speculum'.

Penn Jillette and genius juggler Michael Moschen grew up together. Penn once said they they "practiced juggling with the focus that can only be attained by young boys who have not yet discovered masturbation." I paraphrase. I can't find the interview. I think it was in Smithsonian, and whatever else you think of Penn, you have got to give the man props for getting a masturbation reference into the official organ of our national museum system.

I don't juggle. When I read books aloud I cannot muster the spit and gravel that Tim Curry can. And I'm not much of a maker of objects.

I like looking at a vine surging slothlike up a telephone pole and thinking about the future. I like remembering the day they brought a giant squid into the museum of natural history, and how in that instant I saw a cryptid switch teams.

There's a corn truck up by camp, manned by a milky-eyed old farmer with square fingers and a stoop. The truck always parks at a bend in the road that makes me think of the one in Close Encounters of the Third Kind: there's a drop-off and a tremendous view on the other side. Just corn fields and sky, but maybe I'll go early and sit with him for a while, watch the weather.

2 comments:

  1. Wingbeats of the recording angel entice me and please the ego, an alluring danger. Speaking of morbid verse I had to edit a line from Spencer into a contemplation of building a small sandbox in which to write and erase symbols in a recent post. I have a few crafty building projects at the moment as I take a break from studying Relativistic Quantum Mechanics. A Rosary with an antique key at the end. The key reminds me of Franklin. A gold mirror plexiglas disco ball in the form of a geodesic sphere. And polyhedron models which I've been building and rebuilding since 1985. My favorite the icosadodecahedron which divides it surface into 4 colors and is the basis for a rubik's style puzzle. Neatly, one can associate the 4 alchemical elements, and with 12 pentagonal faces one could apply the signs of the zodiac according to their element. Over the surface are interlocked 5 pointed stars with a wiccan appeal. So I'm making some molds for candles. My encaustic artist friend assures me that melting crayolas is sufficient for applying designs to wax. Who knew! Newton was an alchemist, so why mayn't any amateur mathematician not have fun also. I'm afraid my taste in art is for very bold active compositions which are simple and elegant from a distance, but more complex and detailed when approached. And utilize the full spectrum. Not Fauves so much, but nature's schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid blogger I wasn't finished editing that comment. And hopefully my display name will display properly. Listening to Iggy and thinking of Peter Paul and Mary singing Dylan. "Say hello to Valerie, say hello to Marion" Puffing away on various blends.

    Thoughts of a fried brain in a fried season.

    ReplyDelete