Tuesday, January 27, 2009

When I say my house is a wreck...


during, originally uploaded by your neighborhood librarian.

See? I was NOT KIDDING. This is my kitchen right now. That back wall offended the eyes of Contractor Mike, so he removed it and is going to replace it with one that is insulated, and made out of actual lumber rather than like cigar boxes and yard waste.

Which is good, but it came as a surprise to me.

Here it is from the outside. Note sagging floor corrected.

06 24 09 006

Note also the blizzardy conditions that shut down schools in the entire Great State of Wussyland except the city (and Harford County).

And this is what it used to look like (from the inside).

before

Say bye-bye to the drop ceiling, the vinyl flooring, the greeny-black painted paneling, and the white cabinets. Give me some ideas what color to paint it.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world. Paint it red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamaila, you have been on my mind in a big way, as you can imagine!

    I am seriously considering red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Good luck! Think about how happy you will be when it is all fucking done. What year is your house? Ours is 1920 and I swear when we did our bathroom 2.5 years ago it (only bathroom btw) it nearly killed me. But it could have had something to do with the fact that I was in my third trimester and going in a bucket. Yeah, that was fun. Actually happy to go to work for bathroom plumbing those weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little messy, indeed, but that's because you were up for something better. I see that a huge siding was removed up there. It's good that you have decided to fix things before it gets worse. A sagging floor and drop ceiling could hurt you or someone else seriously. Since this blog was posted years ago, my paint recommendation wouldn't be any of help anymore, but I do hope that you went for a lighter color, so your kitchen will effortlessly brighten up. Maybe next time you do another home reno project, I can be of help.

    Herb Koguchi @Kroll Window

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ceiling and the roof both needed repair. I wonder how much it had cost you. But whatever the expenses you have spent here, it's worth it. It's hard to repair a house if the weather condition is that cold, especially if it's this open. I hope that everything was fixed properly and is still working their purposes up to now. Take care!

    Miley Waterman @A-Plus-Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new flooring! I personally prefer vinyl flooring for it feels warmer on my bare feet. This is one flooring where there are many colors and patterns to choose from. For the cabinets, I do hope that you kept the white paint. With a green wall, you can create a rustic look from it, just pick the right kitchen décor.


    John Barringer @Beach Windows

    ReplyDelete