Friday, November 23, 2007

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex - Review


The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

Finished this book last night. Turned back to the beginning and started reading it again. Now, people say that they do that, but this is possibly the first time I have ever actually done that.

Started writing this review. Looked up other reviews. The review in the New York Times uses all the same quotes I would have, and makes most of the same points. So, errr, you can read that review, and I will sum up:
  • Best book I have read since The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  • Has a surprising amount in common with The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  • Except: not (yet) annointed by Oprah, less likely to star Viggo Mortensen when they make a movie out of it
  • Also no cannibalism. Wait, I take that back.
  • I can't wait for someone to make a movie out of it, but it better be somebody cool
  • I want to read it out loud
  • My Boov voice will be irresistable
  • Should get the Newbery
All adults and all children will enjoy this book, and I really don't say that about many books. It put me in mind somewhat of old Sesame Street - both types of aliens could really have come out of the Creature Shop, and Frank Oz could do the voices; plus there are some cute references that adults are more likely to get than children.

The book will not convince me to keep our cats though, if they keep peeing on the laundry.

1 comment:

  1. Another Smekday fan here! I actually found your blog because I finished the book and immediately wrote a mash email to Adam Rex. And he wrote back and asked if I were, by any chance, P Dog, a librarian in Baltimore, because it seemed odd that I would write, from Baltimore, right after he read your good review on your blog....and whew, that was quite a sentence. And I had to tell him I was not P Dog, but then I ran to Google and found you.

    And yes, I long to read this book out loud. And see a really good movie adaptation...Pixar, perhaps?

    I just love finding a book that is this much fun! I'm recommending it to all my friends with kids or grandkids anywhere close to the right age.

    Like your blog!

    ReplyDelete