Thursday, September 06, 2007

It's the little things

Little things like the little dead mouse I found behind the art supplies desk in the dining room. Foul. And I think the cats peed on him post mortem. Extra foul.

Things like the gnarled little item offered me by the neighbor boy last night.
"What is that? It looks like coral," I said.
"Eat it," he said.
And now I am totally addicted to Cheetos XXtra Flamin' Hot Cheese Flavored Snacks. Oh my god - is this a snack item developed especially for Asian immigrants? I have a higher-than-usual tolerance for spicy food, due to the hard work I've done dulling my taste buds with alcohol, cigarettes and coffee, but even I couldn't get through the whole bag.



Little things like the last guy Clive Owen kills in this extremely NSFW clip from the forthcoming (and apparently aptly titled) Shoot 'Em Up. You have to click through to see it but it's really really worth it.

A little thing that was almost a big thing: I heard a song on WTMD this morning that I LOVED. Thought the band would save rock and roll loved. Made me think of XTC and Firehose at the same time loved. Stopped in at the record store, bought the album, and the rest of it sounds like Dave Matthews or somethin. Awww.

Although, one more little thing about the pink hair: you walk into the record store and say, "I heard this song? And I'm not sure about the band name? Was it somebody... and The Pharmacists?" and if you have pink hair you still don't look like a doofus (or a 40-year-old mom, whichever comes first).

And a short little book thing: The Plain Janes, by Cecil Castellucci, which I must be the last librarian on earth to have read. I recommend it to all people for its art-positive real-feeling take on high school. Reminded me of Kirsten Miller's Kiki Strike, the second book of which hits the streets October 2. Not that Kiki Strike is at all real-feeling... or has anything to do with art... screw you, I just like girls being sneaky, ok? Read the damn books!

7 comments:

  1. being a ted leo fan myself, i've got to ask: which album didja get? living with the living? it's not nearly as solid every-song-rocks as the one before, shake the sheets. you MUST have that one. i can department-mail it to you if you like. though if you think he sounds like dave matthews, maybe you don't want it.

    the first time i saw TL&tP was august 2006. remember when it was 100 degrees at night? well, one of those nights they played a show, and the power went out on the whole block. mr.leo kept playing in the dark (and incredibly hot) ottobar, leading a sing-along to 'since you've been gone' and playing acoustic versions of songs out the front door...where he continued the show, sans electricity, in the middle of howard street. he's kind of my rockstar hero for that.

    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/37743-ted-leo-triumphs-over-power-outage

    -elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that we knew about The Plain Jane's before you? It's a favorite of Cinnamon and myself.

    Mr. Spice says you have to try the new Dorito's favor. "It taste's like me."

    As if that's a selling point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Doritos that taste like SJack? I'm not even going to touch that!

    And In my defense, I knew OF Plain Janes, and had read enough positive reviews to recommend it, but I just hadn't gotten around to reading it. That's what happens with too many books! I end up reading the iffy ones first and leaving the sure bets til later. What does Cinnamon think of Kiki Strike?

    Liblif, totally send me the other album. The song I heard, it had this line like 'stretch out your weary hand to me', and Ez and I waited in the car outside Han Ah Rehm until the song was over, we liked it so much. I figured it musta been off the most recent album so that's what I bought. (at Record & Tape Traders, hee hee you know how long it's been since I been in there? still reeks of sandalwood!)

    I was in fact hoping that it was the album that was weak and not the band. All the pieces are there: good drum line, coherent bass, great guitar, and the guy totally sings like a real rock star.

    The Dave Matthews comment was kind of an exaggeration. I was just disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. typo, not me, meat. Although the moment has passed.

    Sleeps five eh? What about Granny and the hound? I am going to poke at Mr. Spice, could use a weekend out of the city just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, you're not the last librarian. I am.

    And those dang Cheetos are wicked hot. I consume lots of wine and coffee...apparently it's my non-smoking that has caused my mouth to spontaneously combust when eating those things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. word. i saw that band at ottobar and they reminded me of thin lizzy, which is a good thing except they weren't as good as them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm the last cool person on earth to not know Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.

    I don't go to the record store anymore or listen to the radio. I am staid and old. I listen to (and fantasize about) Bob Schneider and Billy Harvey, sometimes at the same time, and sometimes even Willy Porter, whose voice makes me swoon. And I'm forty-five, without pink hair, yet I still have that fire burning.

    Think I'll have another beer.

    ReplyDelete