Friday, July 13, 2007

The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1) by Michael Buckley - review



The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1)
by Michael Buckley. Ages 5-12.

Dag frag it. I checked out the cassette version of this book thinking that I wasn't that interested in reading what looked like another fractured fairy tale series, and that I could listen to a couple of chapters and then turn it back in. With its Snicket-y illustrations and big honkin' web site, its obvious echoes of Shrek and Hoodwinked, I just had a feeling that it would turn out to be a hack effort.

I was right. There's nothing new here. There are orphan sisters, the older one disaffected and suspicious, the younger one affectionate and trusting. There is the girls' long-lost family provenance, which gives them access to special tools but which is also a responsibility and a source of danger. Bla bla, disbelief, lack of trust, internal conflict, bla bla, peril to family results in epiphany for distrustful older sister, bla bla, action ensues, most of which is resolved by the use of mechanical plot devices. Devices such as a magic carpet, which will take you anywhere, very fast. Memory erasing dust. Pixies. Excalibur, which will kill anything, even a 200-foot giant, at a scratch.

God those devices make me nuts. Remember how X-Men got terrible as soon as Jean Grey became totally all-powerful? At that point you have to work in all kinds of plot contrivances to disable Jean Grey so that she can't just resolve every situation by turning the bad guy's molecules into wasabi peas and sending them to Saturn.

Same thing has to happen here, and it's lazy writing. The kids need to leave a house without using the door? VoilĂ ! Here are Dorothy's ruby slippers - just click your heels together 3 times and they will take you anywhere you want to go. But... if the slippers can take you anywhere, can they take the children to their parents (who are OF COURSE not dead but only captured by mysterious enemies)? Sure they can - so let's go! We'll get the family reunited and be done with this series right away. But! Awww, the kid dropped a shoe on the run through the forest when the giant was chasing them. Too bad. And by the way why were we running through the forest when she could have just clicked her heels together and gotten out of harm's way? Oh for god's sake. I forget. All that dancing around to make the plot fit the rules makes me weary.

So it appears that I don't like the book. Happens. But why am I so sour about it? Why don't I just return it as planned and move on?

Well, as it happens... my kids love it. LOVE it. Can't wait to climb in the car to go to camp so they can hear more of the story. Are very disappointed if they have to ride in the Civic, which doesn't have a tape player. Their slightly-older friend Fairy Girl, who rides with us in the mornings, has only heard parts of the story, but is as mesmerized as they are.

Kids at the library as old as 12 are seeking it out. I have little choice but to recommend it to readers who have already finished every other fantasy series I can think of, and then those kids come back for more. Dag frag it. Thumbs in my ears.

5 comments:

  1. Of all the reviews of my series I have read your take is my favorite. It's hard to be angry with someone who so vehemently hates my work when she is surrounded by fans that include her own children. What a nightmare! I feel your pain. My wife is an avid Grey's Anatomy fan and makes me watch it. I find that show cloying, stupid, and filled with unlikeable, selfish characters. But then again, it's not aimed at me. Perhaps that's why you didn't like the Sisters Grimm. Or, and I like to think this to be a better explanation, your kids and the children who request my books have discovered that the series gets better as it goes along. Or maybe they just like all the fart jokes - I can't account for taste. Still, I'm proud of the books. I've been told my hundreds of librarians and teachers that they have re-introduced kids to fairy tales and are wildly popular with children who are often called "reluctant readers." Perhaps, if you can stomache it, you could read the rest of the series. I might be wrong but I bet it would grow on you. If not, I'm sorry to cause you so much frustration at work and in the car.

    Michael Buckley
    www.sistersgrimm.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the reviews of my series I have read your take is my favorite. It's hard to be angry with someone who so vehemently hates my work when she is surrounded by fans that include her own children. What a nightmare! I feel your pain. My wife is an avid Grey's Anatomy fan and makes me watch it. I find that show cloying, stupid, and filled with unlikeable, selfish characters. But then again, it's not aimed at me. Perhaps that's why you didn't like the Sisters Grimm. Or, and I like to think this to be a better explanation, your kids and the children who request my books have discovered that the series gets better as it goes along. Or maybe they just like all the fart jokes - I can't account for taste. Still, I'm proud of the books. I've been told my hundreds of librarians and teachers that they have re-introduced kids to fairy tales and are wildly popular with children who are often called "reluctant readers." Perhaps, if you can stomache it, you could read the rest of the series. I might be wrong but I bet it would grow on you. If not, I'm sorry to cause you so much frustration at work and in the car.

    Michael Buckley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Thanks, Michael for not being mad. I definitely owe you the second book at least!

    That review stuck in my mind all day - as I vacuumed I wondered to myself how I could defend myself as an adult evaluator of children's literature when my taste (in this case at least) was so at odds with that of even my own children.

    And I came to the conclusion that I am GLAD that my boys like The Sisters Grimm. I understand why kids like it - familiar characters doing surprising things and complicated rules are story elements that entertain, soothe, and challenge some kids, kind of like crossword puzzles for some adults.

    I was a kid like that, and I know how to find books that will make kids like that happy, ergo I am happy my kids are kids like that.

    I still think there are books that do the same thing better, but there are always better books.

    Wait til I get my teeth into M.T. Anderson later today - boy am I gonna get bitch-slapped for that one!

    Thank you again Michael Buckley for being so gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and dude I never said 'hate'... 'Don't like' I said.

    And if I'd been to the Sisters Grimm MySpace page before I'd written the review, well, I'll bet I would have had a WHOLE different take on the subject. - 'Kids in America'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Hate' is reserved for the Berenstain Bears.

    ReplyDelete