Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Dream Stealer by Gregory Maguire - review


The Dream Stealer by Gregory Maguire. Ages 5-adult (really!). This is an older book, but I'd never read Gregory Maguire's kid books (he's the author of Wicked and Son of a Witch, both of which I found unexpectedly thoughtful - not your usual fractured fairy tales for adults, they incorporate a lot of political philosophy and behaviorist allegory, but don't manage to get boring) and I had heard that Dream Stealer was something special. Not disappointed. A simple but gripping fairy tale set in the Russian forest, this book is vivid, well-plotted, and suspenseful. I think it has just enough scare but not too much (but I should mention that I sometimes underestimate how scareable some kids are). Thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment