Thursday, February 08, 2007

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay that's gnawing at the heart of the country


Song lyrics come to mind sometimes when I'm coming up with titles for posts. I had a little down-time today and I sorted through all of my posts to see exactly what sonic self-portrait I am developing with these top-of-my-head music references.

Well. There's no doubt that I listened to college radio in the 80's and 90's, is there.

Golden Palominos - that was a loose band put together by Anton Fier, with Syd Straw and Michael Stipe in it initially. There was a version of The Animal Speaks with vocals by Jack Bruce, but on the album John Lydon sings it.

But the Eagles - I hate the Eagles (but I love Joe Walsh - wasn't it great when he was on Drew Carey's TV show? kind of playing himself?); and Foreigner and Eddie Money, my god, less said the better.

Pixies and Gang of Four and Sugarcubes and The The... you know what's funny? My sister-in-law Nancy went to the art school attached to my university, a year ahead of me. Millions of years later, after I'd started shacking up with her brother, she and I put together that we'd actually attended some of the same parties (including one with a toilet-paper bridal gown and a 7-foot penis), and then when we started reminiscing about music, she started pulling out the exact same records that had meant so much to me way back then. So I'd say that you probably knew a girl just like me. Maybe you knew Nancy.

3 comments:

  1. Don Henley, sputter, spit. I can barely think of the man's name without convulsions.

    I feel the same way about Steve Winwood. Traffic was not good because of Steve Winwood. If Traffic was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the the was a HUGE part of my high school depressed-hated-everyone years. seriously, dusk? come on. just dig yourself a hole.

    -elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Dusk was a bummer but the Jools Holland piano solo on Soul Mining always makes me breathe.

    ReplyDelete