Friday, February 02, 2007

C'mon baby, do you do more than dance?

I'm hot blooded,
Check it and see
I got a fever of a hundred and three
You know what used to happen to me when I had a high fever as a kid? I heard voices. Two voices, one in one ear that was too slow to understand, the other in the other ear, too fast to understand... it was maddening.

Well, this time I understand the voices. Ever since I looked at the thermometer yesterday and it read 103 degrees, Foreigner has been singing that song in my head.

I went to the doctor, she ruled out pneumonia but flu is still a possibility. Remember when we were kids, and "the flu" was like 4 days? Now it always seems to be ten or twelve, and apparently it can take your life.

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with Foreigner ringing in our ears.

Ha! You didn't think you could get T.S. Eliot and shitty 70's arena rock into the same sentence! The things you can do with a superheated brain!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Paula. You've been sick for a while, huh? I hope you turn the corner on this thing soon. Remember to drink a lot of water so that you don't get dehydrated.

    Fever dreams can be psychotic and interesting. You know, like David Lynch's "Eraser Head." Which I actually have seen. I had a male friend in DC well before I met Patrick. Just a friend he was. Anyway, I remember "Eraserhead" came to a local theater, and I asked him to go with me on a Sunday afternoon. He told me that the movie was such an unpleasant experience, that he would support my interest in going but stay home and read the paper. Now, that made an impact because this fellow was no excessively sensitive male....he had been in taxi driver in NYC for a while. Anyway, I never went...and never saw the film, but have heard enough about animated/mechanized lamb fetuses that I FEEL as if I've seen it.

    Take care. -Allison

    ReplyDelete